Thursday 19 May 2011

Loving Ghana.

Hi all.
Last night all of the volunteers went to eat Indian food together to celebrate 4 of the Danish boys' going away date. 'Twas delicious.

Today I went to the Maternity ward in the hospital because my clinic was closed for the day...The morning was really great. I made friends with a doctor when I came in (who I didn't know was a doctor at the time lol) so he was really helpful all morning and literally drug me by hand as he went on his rounds. The ward has 3 rooms with about 6 women and their children in each, so it is really different from back home! And the babies stay in the beds with the mothers instead of having a separate bed for baby. While we were in the second room, one of the mother left to do something and while she was gone her baby started crying...just a little at first, but after about 5 minutes it had turned into wailing and I couldn't stand it any longer. I plucked up the courage to ask the nurse if I could go hold its tiny hand to comfort it, and she agreed...but once I got over there she asked me to just pick it up. Score. It stopped crying immediately...he just wanted a little snuggle. The mother walked in on me holding her baby and just smiled...SO different from what would have happened in the U.S.! The rest of the day I spent waiting to watch a delivery...4 hours...and when it finally came time to deliver, they informed me that I could not watch for some weird reason or another. After 4 hours...they didn't think to tell me sooner? That's how it is in Ghana though. The morning was worth it so my frustration didn't last very long.

After work some friends I've made and I visited Oxford street...known for its artisan stalls. It was the most fun and crazy and stressful thing all at once. All of them would grab you and follow you around asking you to buy RANDOM things that you would probably never buy on your own...And I got my first taste of bargaining. One of the girls who has been here longer gave me some guidance...and I got a backpack, woven bracelet with my name, and necklace all for 13 cedis. Now I need a shower.

2 comments:

  1. Wish you could have seen the delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13 cedis translates to $8.60. Look at you being a smart bargaineer

    ReplyDelete